I’ve been seeing a lot of chatter about people protesting the lock downs and I’m having a hard time wrapping my mind around it. I mean, I get it, much of American history is built on being rebellious, and now we romanticize defiance, but seriously? You’re upset about having to stay home? Why? I’m not an expert in this virus, but I’ve read what the experts have to say and it’s this:
Wash your hands.
Keep a safe distance.
And I’ve seen some projections floating around about how this virus is supposed to peak in the next couple of weeks which is good news, so why can’t you just wait and play it safe? If we end the lock down too soon, we’ll see a resurgence, or do you not believe in modern science about how viruses work? Now, I’ve learned from experience that competing with cognitive dissonance is a losing battle. There’s no amount of facts, statistics, or information I can show one of these protesters to convince them that their behavior is not only moronic, but dangerous. So I guess the best thing I can do is ask questions:
- What is your primary reason for resisting the lock down orders? Is there a life or death situation where if we don’t immediately open up all the bars and restaurants and start gathering at the peak of this pandemic, you’ll suddenly die?
- Or is it a money thing? Because, correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t our government just pull $500 billion dollars out of thin air to bail out corporations? Or was it trillions? I can’t remember. It doesn’t matter, but if your motivation is money, the economy, and how this will affect you, me, and literally every other middle-class person (because we make up the bulk of the people), why aren’t you protesting the corporate bailouts? You’re upset about the wrong things.
- Or are you protesting because you believe this is all just a hoax? It’s all made up? I haven’t met anyone this crazy yet, but nothing surprises me anymore.
- Or maybe you believe the virus exists, but it’s all overblown. The numbers are exaggerated. So what? You still put vulnerable people at risk and you still risk getting sick yourself? You can’t just spend a few more weeks chilling? Why?
- Or do you believe the virus is man-made and this is all a giant conspiracy? I know some of you think this, so follow-up question: What if it is a conspiracy? What then? We go out and just risk getting ourselves and others sick? How does that solve anything? Which brings me to my next question:
- What are you hoping to accomplish exactly through these protests? Do you want us to rebel against the government or something? Or are you just pouting cause the government asked you to do something you don’t want to do?
I just…don’t…get it.I don’t get it. Now if we were protesting corporate greed, the endless wars abroad, or any other slew of issues that affect us every day before, during, and after this pandemic, I’d be all for it. Maybe we just have different priorities. I want universal healthcare, a living wage for workers, and more equal wealth distribution. You, apparently, want the right to go out and do the opposite of what the CDC recommends just…because you want to. Just, stop and think about it for a minute. Is it worth it? Is it worth putting somebody’s grandparents at risk? Is it worth being incredibly ill? I don’t think so. Please, just chill. It’s not going to kill you.