So much waste comes from packaging and a lot of that packaging is excessive and not even necessary. Fortunately, there are many techniques to avoid packaging such as buying in bulk and shopping at farmer’s markets, but there are also a lot of companies that are coming up with clever ways to avoid excessive packaging. Here are ten tips to avoid package waste:
- Carry your reusable bags, produce bags, reusable bottles, and other containers when shopping or eating out.
- Shop at stores that allow you to buy in bulk and bring your own containers.
- Buy shampoo and soap bars to avoid the plastic bottles.
- Look for products with biodegradable or compostable packaging.
- Shop local to avoid plastic wrapped food products.
- Make your own DIY cleaning and cosmetic products and reuse bottles and other containers.
- If a product must be packaged consider the plastic-free options or packaging that can be reused or recycled.
- Shop sustainably and avoid companies that use too much packaging or single-use plastics.
- Shop resale and buy used to avoid the packaging altogether.
- Think of clever ways to reuse any extra packaging products that cannot be recycled.
Changing our shopping habits and finding better ways to purchase products can go a long way in cutting down excessive packaging.